On Saturday, June 5th, 2010 Catalina Foothills Mathnasium on Swan and Sunrise opened its doors for the Catalina Foothills Chess Academy.
The Summer Chess Program began and the first group of enrolled children got their first formal chess lessons. Even though all of them knew how to move the pieces, a few simple questions revealed that plenty of learning was ahead.
On the first day the CFCA Rules were introduced and children had fun playing “Dragon and Chickens” and “RBQ” games. This helped them to review the basic material and make a first move into developing analytical reasoning skills.
Catalina Foothills Chess Academy
1. We are here to have FUN.
2. Everyone who plays chess is SMART, even if he or she makes bad moves.
3. If you WIN – be proud and happy, but not at the expense of your opponent.
4. If you LOSE – don’t get discouraged – you learn with every game you play.
5. Chess is NOT Karate; we fight with our brains, not muscles.
6. If you mastered something – HELP others.
7. PRACTICE at home and do your homework.
* Special Rule for girls:
8. It is OK to beat boys in chess, even if they cry. They will learn faster.
If you are a parent – please use e-mailed to you password to access:
Catalina Foothills Chess Academy Summer 2010 Program